Monday, October 28, 2013

Love Thy Neighbor

I met my new neighbor this evening.   I hadn't planned on it; for the most part I pretty much keep to myself. However, when I woke up this morning I felt like baking today.   You see, I made the mistake of buying some handsoap from Bath and Body Works called Pumpkin Cupcake.  Now everytime I use it I want to bake.   This is to keep me from gnawing on my hands because the soap smells good enough to eat.  So if you see someone walking around smelling their hands its not some kind of disorder, its just that they may have bought the same soap.  Now, about my neighbor... I have never and I repeat, never, baked to welcome a neighbor to the neighborhood.  Its something I've thought about,  but never really followed through on.   Well, I came home and slaved away in the kitchen,  again, the handsoap made me do it.  Actually the credit really goes to the Almighty.  I try to get my day started by preparing ahead for a random act of kindnesd (RAK).  This morning I was pressed for time but really felt that I needed to welcome the new neighbor.   So that's what I did.   I baked my cookies and put them in a ziploc baggie.  It was a little late before I went over there but the lights were still on and I could hear people talking in the garage so I just knocked on the garage door.  She asked "who is it?" in a friendly enough voice.   I told her I was her neighbor and that I had brought her something.   She said "your kidding me."  I told her no and she opened the garage door.   She was so excited that I was amazed at how much joy cookies could bring someone.   She told me she loves it here and she's only been here a few days.   She introduced herself and words cannot really express what I was feeling at her enthusiasm.   She said she used to live next door to someone who baked for a living.   She talked non stop and then asked me questions too.  She said I was welcome to come over any time.  What she made me feel was gratitude for people and that just a simple deed, such as baking cookies for someone, can really mean a lot.  She hugged me before I left and I went back to my place with joy and some of her enthusiasm.   I could have gone on ignoring all my neighbors but now I think I'm more inclined to bake for all of them.   Baking takes very little effort for me because I love doing it, especially when I get encouragement from the handsoap.  Loving my neighbor was a bit harder because I kept thinking what if she doesn't like my cookies?  Had I given in and not taken her cookies I would have missed out on her happiness and the blessing of seeing her so joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment