Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Give Thanks

A few months ago I heard from my niece via a text message.  Basically she sent me a text so that I would have her phone number.   I knew she was expecting and started asking her questions about her pregnancy.  Our conversations grew long (still via text) and I made sure to check up on her at least once a week.  I encouraged her to walk everyday because excercise does help when giving birth.   At least it did for me.   I could have gone on these last few months not even bothering to check on my niece,  but I felt compelled to.  In the course of these months I began to look forward to this baby coming into the world.   Little did I know how much of an impact she would make on all of us.

You see, my nephew died a year ago today.  He was hit by a car.  As a family, we were devastated.   How it hurts so bad to see someone you love go through so much pain (my sister).  What does this have to do with my great niece being born you ask?

My great niece's middle name was chosen in honor of my deceased nephew.   The family agreed she would be called by said middle name. 

Today was a day I was actually dreading.   Knowing that my sister would be reliving things wasn't a welcome thought.   I know God has seen my sister's pain and in all his awesomeness, he chose to help my sister and the rest of the family concentrate on something else today.   With God's help my great niece chose today to come into the world.   Do you think she made it into the world quickly?   No.  She took her sweet time and had us waiting on pins and needles most of the day!   We are all overjoyed!  As for myself,  I already feel a bond with this little girl that will last a lifetime. We give thanks to God above for giving us this special gift on a day that would have been miserable for us all.  With thoughts of my nephew smiling about his niece being born today, we celebrate this little life.

My point for today?  It only takes a few minutes out of your day to show people in our lives that we love them.   I felt like a second mom to my niece when my sister sent me a text at 2:20 a.m. because my niece had instructed her mom to make sure I knew she had gone into labor.  I grew my relationship with my niece by sending her texts a few times a week.  The fact that we have communicated regularly,  even if by text,  was enough to show my niece that I love and care for her as well as her child.   Give thanks to those you love.   Listen, be attentive to their needs, or just make a small amount of time for them.   You've heard that saying?  A little goes a long way.   I can attest that it sure does.

No comments:

Post a Comment