Thursday, October 24, 2013

I Have a Confession...

Yesterday I went to church and I saw a friend of mine. I haven't spent time with her in a while but while I was there I asked her if she wanted to get together, she agreed and said she would let me know for sure during the workday tomorrow. As I woke up this morning I didn't know what I would do for a RAK (Random Act of Kindness). I thought that I would be led to do something for a stranger or maybe donate a kidney or some other body part.  By the end of the day I still had nothing.  All I knew was that I had committed to spending time with my friend but at the same time I was feeling pressured to complete a RAK and get home to do some chores; like vacuum, put the dishes away in the the dishwasher and clean my counters. All of these things on my "to do" list seemed like they should be given some kind of priority.  Needless to say that by the end of the work day I was hoping my friend wouldn't be able to make time for meeting me.   Instead she called me and asked if I would pick her up.  I confess,  my first thought was completely selfish.  Then I told myself "really?"  Your protesting over a ride?   You know, if I needed a ride my friend would say yes;  no hesitation.  So after I talked myself out of such selfish thoughts,  yes all of this took two seconds, I agreed to pick her up. We ended up going somewhere for dinner, we sat down and then we just started talking; she told me how she was feeling because she recently lost a loved one.  I was glad that I ignored the fact that I had chores waiting for me when I got home.  I lent her my ear and she lent me hers.  Still after our 3 hours of conversation I was worried that I wouldn't be able to perform a RAK today. It was then that I heard loud and clear; you have performed your RAK.  My questions?  What?  How? The response:  "you gave time to a friend in need."  I felt like Gru in Despicable Me; "Lightbulb!" What an amazing thing.  Sure, I was hoping that she would cancel but then later on I realized how much she needed me to listen and that she needed to talk about her grief. What I've learned is that our time is valuable and who we give it to does matter.  Time given to others matters more than performing chores or checking off items on our "to do" list.   Listen to your friends especially when they're hurting inside.  There is much joy to be gained knowing you are helping someone get through a rough time, even if at first you don't realize the act of kindness you showed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment